Thursday 25 August 2016

Caprese salad

It’s heritage tomato harvesting season.

I’m rather chuffed with my tomato crop this year. My little patio is so sunny and sheltered that the plants have shot up, and have been cropping marvellously well. This is one day’s harvest.

tomato harvest

As I only moved here in April, I bought grafted tomato plants to get me going quickly. They are obviously more expensive than growing from seed, but I wanted to get a move on and didn’t have much time or space.

I’ve been feeding them twice a week with organic tomato fertiliser, and watering them every other day in their containers so that they do not develop problems associated with irregular watering such as blossom end rot.

caprese salad

To test out their taste, I jumbled a load of the fruits into a simple Caprese salad. There are three different tomatoes in here, and while the orange and red varieties and perfect for a salad, the yellow fruits would be much better slow-roated as they have thick, dry flesh, and very few seeds.



from Fennel and Fern http://www.fennelandfern.co.uk/blog/2016/08/25/caprese-salad/

No comments:

Post a Comment